Obtainment of temporary residence permit in Ukraine
The permit of our average client is received within two weeks. The term may be shorter or longer depending on particular client’s situation (applicable ground for obtainment of permit, availability of certain documents in client’s possession).
You can read more about our practical experience in our publications on obtainment of Ukrainian residence permit for a citizen of Germany and residence permit for a citizen of USA.
Our attorneys will:
- provide legal advices on whether it is possible to get temporary residence document in Ukraine in your particular situation;
- if more than one legal ground is applicable in your case, they will help to choose the most optimal one;
- help with obtainment (formalization) of some documents during preparatory stage (no-criminal record certificate, medical examination certificates, medical insurance, etc);
- provide legal services related to formation of corporation (when a foreigner chooses to stay in Ukraine for doing business);
- draw up certain documents that are required for issuance of the permit, fill out applications, standard forms, etc;
- deal with governmental agencies (including Migration Service of Ukraine and its divisions, State administrations, etc) responsible for issuance of residency permit as well as some other documents. This includes submission of documents, supervision of consideration of the documents, etc;
- advise on the matters of the official fee payment and if requested make payments in client’s name and at his expense;
- help to find accommodations in Ukraine for the purposes of official registration at a certain address;
- provide other related legal services depending on client’s requests and final goals.
Required documents and information
- original of foreigner’s passport or its copy that is translated into Ukrainian and notarized by a notary;
- 4 photos of applicant 3,5 cm x 4,5 cm (in color and matte);
- original of migration card (if the applicant ever received one);
- medical insurance (if necessary our law firm will help to get one that will meet all the requirements for obtainment of residence permit);
- certificate of good conduct (lack of criminal record). If a foreigner wants to get one in Ukraine, our lawyers can help with its obtainment;
- document proving that the applicant has a place to stay in Ukraine (real estate ownership or registered lease (rent) agreement);
- document that serves as a ground for receiving of residence permit (work permit, marriage certificate, etc.)
Our attorneys may request some additional documents depending on legal grounds you have for permit obtainment.
Important to know
In general the most common grounds for issuance of the residency permit are:
- employment of a foreign citizen in Ukraine which includes cases of employment by a representative office of foreign company duly registered in our country as well as establishment of one’s own company for doing business in Ukraine (employment as its CEO);
- marriage with citizen of Ukraine (either male or female) or other kinship with Ukrainians;
- kinship with a foreign citizen who stays in Ukraine based on legal grounds provided by Ukrainian laws;
There are other grounds which allow a foreign citizen to stay in Ukraine for extended periods of time. To learn more about legal grounds of temporary residence permit obtainment read the list below or contact our law firm.
Procedure of temporary residence permit obtainment in Ukraine is regulated by the Temporary regulations on consideration of application for formalization of permanent residence permit and temporary residence permit. The procedure is approved by the Order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine number 681 dated 15.07.2013.
The abovementioned Temporary regulations provide that the following categories of individuals may apply for the temporary residency permit:
- foreigners and stateless persons that on legal grounds came to Ukraine for the purposes of employment;
- foreigners and stateless persons who came to Ukraine to take part in projects of international technical assistance that are duly registered in Ukraine;
- foreigners and stateless persons who came to Ukraine for the purposes of preaching, practicing religious rites, other religious activities based on invitation from religious organizations and approval of the agency that performed registration of such religious organization;
- foreigners and stateless persons who visit Ukraine to participate in activities of branch offices, representative offices and other affiliates of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that were duly registered;
- foreigners and stateless persons who came to Ukraine for employment by representative offices of foreign corporations in Ukraine that were registered in accordance with the laws of Ukraine;
- foreigners and stateless persons who visit our country for the purposes of employment by affiliates of foreign banks that were duly registered;
- foreigners and stateless persons who came to Ukraine to get involved in cultural, scientific, educational activities based on and in accordance with procedures that are set by international treaties of Ukraine or special programs. This ground also applies to professional sportsmen and foreign individuals who came to Ukraine to participate in international and regional volunteer programs as well as activities of volunteer organization that are duly registered in Ukraine;
- foreign citizens and stateless people who enter Ukraine for the purposes of employment as correspondents or representatives of foreign mass media;
- foreigners and stateless persons who enter Ukraine for educational purposes ( for example getting higher education at university, college, etc);
- foreigners and stateless persons who come to Ukraine for family reunion with persons who are citizens of Ukraine;
- other persons.
Residence permit is issued for a limited period of time (usually one year) but is subject to prolongation.
If a foreign person does not have legal grounds for prolongation of temporary residence permit, he has to terminate its registration at the address of his place of living within 7 days and leave the country. At the same time the residency permit has to be provided to the hosting party that in turn returns the document to local body of the State Migration Service of Ukraine at the place where foreigner lived within 10 days upon deregistration.
If your residency permit is damaged or lost you can apply for a new one in accordance with procedure that is provided for the document’s exchange of prolongation. The application is to be submitted to the local body of the State Migration Service of Ukraine.
If your permit is lost, you or your hosting party has to notify bodies of internal affairs (the police) and body of the Migration Service that issued the document.
Contact our office in Kiev to find our more about residence in Ukraine.