Is it possible for a foreigner to get visa after arriving to Ukraine?
Author: Volodymyr Gurlov
Practice areas: Immigration law
Certain categories of foreign citizens can apply for issuance of Ukrainian short-term visa (“C” type) upon arrival to Ukraine at the Boryspil International Airport, Odessa International Airport and Odessa Commercial Sea Port. Visas at the Boryspil Airport are issued by the representatives of the Department of Consular Service of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. Visas in Odessa are issued by local bodies of the Ministry.
The visas are issued for the following categories of foreigners:
1) citizens of Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, the Republic of Mauritius, the United Arab Emirates, the Republic of El Salvador, the Republic of Seychelles and the Republic of Turkey who visit Ukraine for the purposes of tourism and have documents proving this fact in accordance with Ukrainian laws;
2) foreigners and stateless persons who were unable to get the visa in advance from the diplomatic or consular establishment of Ukraine abroad and had good reason for immediate travel to Ukraine which among other things can be:
- diplomatic purposes based on request of governmental authorities of Ukraine;
- for elimination of consequences of emergencies based on request of the State Emergency Service of Ukraine;
- for the purposes of immediate medical treatment or participation in funeral of a close relative (it is required to have documentary proof of the facts);
- in case of transit through the territory of Ukraine for crew members of foreign vessels that stay in Ukrainian ports and based on extract from the crew list (for this category of individuals Ukrainian authorities issue transit visa of “B” type);
- Other grounds that are provided by Ukrainian laws.
If the authorities make decision to deny issuance of visa for particular foreigner, such person is informed of the decision and its grounds in written form.
The one time short-term visa of “C” type is issued for up to 15 days, visa of “B” type – up to 5 days.